Open call for submissions
We are excited to open submissions for Issue 3 of Werkhaus Zine. This is an urban photography zine with an open ethos. It is a collective space to document and re-imagine our urban lives and places.
WerkHaus Zine is a print and digital publication, and you can find Issues 1 & 2 on sale in our shop.
Deadline: 22nd April 2022.
Theme: “and isn’t it better really to leave things only hinted at?“
This quote comes from an inspiring essay by Junichiro Tanizaki called “In Praise of Shadows”.
It speaks of the virtues of shadows and darkness, set against the contrast of shining gold or glaring artificial light. It speaks of subtlety and depth, mystery and the senses. It touches on food, ceramics, architecture, theatre, women, crystals and even toilets.
It is a theme which demands interpretation. We want to leave it open, to let it inspire you to make new work, or to lead you to a new reading of existing work.
Who can submit?
WerkHaus Zine is open to all, representing a range of views and ways of looking, styles and genres. It is open to photographers, researchers, photography writers, visual sociologists and artists who use photography in their practice. We take an expanded view of photography and welcome submissions from across disciplines.
We’d love to see your work, whether you are experienced or just starting out.
What to submit?
We are looking for work relating to the theme “and isn’t it better really to leave things only hinted at?”. It can be old or new, published or unpublished. It can be photography, artworks which use photography (e.g. collage) or writing related to photography.
To enter your work please send:
- Photos / Artworks
- Single images or a series (max. 6 images from one project) – please be clear which it is.
- Images should be 300 dpi, minimum 3000 pixels wide – if you can make the file names easily recognisable that is helpful!
- (Optional) Accompanying text – If you want to tell us something about your work and how you interpreted the theme, please do (max. 50 words).
AND / OR
- Writing – Short essays/ poetry/ writing
- Up to 500 words to either accompany your artwork, or reflect on photography in some way.
- It can be theoretical, creative or personal, but must relate to photography and the theme.
- Your Details – For publication, if your entry is selected
- A bit about you (max. 50 words)
How to submit?
If that’s not accessible to you, you can email your work to firstname.lastname@example.org – please ensure you have included everything we ask for. Incomplete entries won’t be considered.
DEADLINE: 21st April 2022
We know it takes confidence, time and energy to submit to open calls and we really appreciate you sharing your work with us. We will view and consider every entry we are sent and aim to make the zine something beneficial to be involved with in the following ways:
We will send feedback to people who want it. Let us know if you would like comments/thoughts from us when you submit.
Everyone who submits will be entitled to 3 copies of the zine, we just ask that you cover P&P costs.
The zine will be sent to curators, galleries and festivals to promote the work of everyone involved.